Wednesday 31 March 2010

Generosity and mowing lemons

Nikki Mann was someone who was willing to help me from the outset get in touch with the best of practice in Hobart and Tasmania. I had a fantastic few hours chewing the fat with Nikki in her role as Arts Education Officer, musician, educational expert (she would hate that) and mother to Florence (Flossie-a delightful, scarily bright and engaging 7 year old) and 'bureaucrat'.

In Nikki you have the best range of attributes - a practice background, teacher, facilitator, curiosity expert with administrator experience, which brings a rich and open mix to the conversation. Nikki told me it was not looked upon positively if you had not traveled internationally, particularly to Europe. My response to that is where would I find such an informed, open, positive and professional advocate for cultural education...I hope the Tasmanian education department recognises their attributes.

The one thing that horrified me was when 'waxing' (sorry, couldn't resist) lyrical about lemon trees in the gardens in Hobart, she said 'our tree is so prolific, when they fall off we just mow them in with the grass, it smells lovely!" .... that to me is the ultimate sin ...

No comments:

Post a Comment